To access a database with DbVisualizer, you must first create and setup a Database Connection. The easiest way to set up a connection is to use the Connection Wizard, but you can also do it manually.
Setting Up a Connection Manually
- Create a new connection from Database->Create Database Connection and click No Wizard when prompted. An Object View tab for the new connection is opened,
- Enter a name for the connection in the Name field, and optionally enter a description of the connection in the Notes field,
- Leave the Database Type as Auto Detect,
- Select an installed JDBC driver (marked with a green checkmark) from the Driver (JDBC) list (see Installing a JDBC Driver for how to install a JDBC driver manually),
- Enter information about the database server in the remaining fields (see below for details),
- Verify that a network connection can be established to the specified address and port by clicking the Ping Server button,
- If Ping Server shows that the server can be reached, click Connect to actually connect to the database server.
Alternatively, you can set the Settings Format to Database URL (this is the only choice for some custom JDBC drivers). This replaces the fields for information about the database server with a single Database URL field, where you can enter the JDBC URL.